Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Engineering Soccer

So it's been 2 months since I last really tried to put words down on this (web)page. And to be fair, I did make a very photogenic newsletter to make up for it last month (next one coming out STAT) - but even so, I can't help but feel a bit behind the times with the blogging community for those of you who get info about me from here rather than my newsletter. (If that's YOU, feel free to send me your email address and I'll get you on there.)

For everyone's sake I'll start with the month of June, because again, I don't really wanna repeat all the stuff I put in my newsletter for May.


Ok, enough housekeeping.

After that whole light-speed baking ordeal, big transitions have happened. I'm now working extensively with a ministry called The Centre, which is basically a youth center geared towards the university students of Chiang Mai and Ratchamangala Techno Universities - allowing for VERY inexpensive English tutoring but with the intent of so much more.

God has blessed me with 21+ students that I see on a daily basis working with their English skills, homework, etc, but really allowing me a role in their lives that would've otherwise been difficult to attain.
In Thailand, a Khruu (teacher) is a highly respected position and therefore comes with a lot of professional distance. However, when I as a "teacher" engage with the students on a more personal level and seek to build relationships with my students outside of class, a very different type of situation becomes available.

I can see God's clear opportunity in one such class especially:
After starting teaching a class of all Electrical Engineers, we started asking about each other and once they realized I was seriously interested in getting to know all of them more, I was quickly invited to go get "tanked at a bar" with them. I declined the specific offer, but have since been playing soccer with them and 15+ other friends of theirs from their Uni on a weekly basis, grabbing dinner afterwards and meeting up for different events throughout the week. In all my time here, I have never been allowed into such a tight-knit group of unbelievers so quickly!

Please join me in praying for all my students, but these guys especially. Looking for opportunities to go deeper into what really matters in this life. With SUCH a lack of real male role models, I'm praying that I may be a witness of a man that isn't only concerned with drinking, chasing women, and the next soccer match and introduce them to other Thai believers that can have an even more profound influence on their lives than I ever could.

Still go out to BHJ every once in awhile, just saw them this past weekend and was glad to see all of my little sisters and family doing well!
Thank you for the continued support through prayer, finances and verbal encouragements. Continuing to pray for all back in the States as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment